Login | Register

Advanced Search

Fredericksburg Now and Then

Description

Photographs of Fredericksburg as it was during the evacuation in 1864, as well as photos of the old hospital buildings as they are today.

Collector(s)

Located on the corner of William and Princess Anne Street.

This building has housed a market place, newspaper printing office, mayor's office, and city council chambers. Many rooms were rented out to various groups for their meetings, such as the…

Welford House, located on the corner of Caroline and Pitt Streets, was constructed in 1796 with a brick addition made in 1850. According to 1860 census data it was the home to the Welford Family and Mary Gouldman. The owner, Charles Wellford, 58, was…

1202 Prince Edward was constructed by 1796 and in 1860 the census data name the Chew Family abd Elizabeth French as the inhabitants. John J. Crew was head of household and listed as "clerk."
Prewar Description: "Two Stories tall and built of wood.…

Located on George and Princess Anne Streets, the Farmer's Bank was constructed in 1820. It housed both the Taliaferro-Ware residence and the Fredericksburg branch of Farmer's Bank of Virginia.

General Wartime: "The Farmer's Bank was used to…

St. George's was built in 1849 and located on Princess Anne Street.

"This Episcopal House of worship was two stories tall, build of brick, and contained Fredericksburg's town clock in its steeple. A cemetery adjoined the church to the north. St.…