Login | Register

Advanced Search

Browse Items (41 total)

This manor was built by John L. Marye in 1824 and added onto in 1836.

General Wartime Significance: "Brompton was a prominent landmark on the Confederate front line during the December 1862 and May 1863 Battles of Fredericksburg. In May 1864, the…

"The Masonic Lodge at Fredericksburg is one of the most historic lodges and one of the oldest in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Although its building has only been around since 1816, its members have existed as a standing organization officially since…

On Princess Anne and George Streets, this church was built in 1833.

"The church decided to acquire new land and build a larger house of worship that would be better suited to its size. Land at the corner of Princess Anne St. and George St. was…

Located on Washington Avenue.

"Built by George Washington's sister, Betty Washington Lewis and her husband Fielding Lewis, this beautiful, Georgian-style mansion reflects the pre-Revolutionary War wealth and status of the Fredericksburg merchant.…

This house is located on Sunken Road in the section run by the National Park Service. It was constructed by 1861 and perhaps occupied by John Innis, Ellen Innis, John's Wife; and possibly one other individual.

General Wartime Significance: "It was…

Located on Federal Hill (Caroline and William Streets) and constructed in 1814. The Wallace Family lived in the upper stories and operated the store below.

General Wartime: "The damage inflicted upon the Wallace House and Store in December 1862…

St. George's was built in 1849 and located on Princess Anne Street.

"This Episcopal House of worship was two stories tall, build of brick, and contained Fredericksburg's town clock in its steeple. A cemetery adjoined the church to the north. St.…

Located on George and Princess Anne Streets, the Farmer's Bank was constructed in 1820. It housed both the Taliaferro-Ware residence and the Fredericksburg branch of Farmer's Bank of Virginia.

General Wartime: "The Farmer's Bank was used to…

1202 Prince Edward was constructed by 1796 and in 1860 the census data name the Chew Family abd Elizabeth French as the inhabitants. John J. Crew was head of household and listed as "clerk."
Prewar Description: "Two Stories tall and built of wood.…

Welford House, located on the corner of Caroline and Pitt Streets, was constructed in 1796 with a brick addition made in 1850. According to 1860 census data it was the home to the Welford Family and Mary Gouldman. The owner, Charles Wellford, 58, was…