Login | Register

Advanced Search

Browse Items (14 total)

Date of Construction: 1852
Prewar: Designed by James Renwick (architect of St. Patrick's Cathedral in NYC and the Smithsonian in DC) Elaborate examples of the Gothic Revival architecture. North and South sections housed offices and rental space.…

Date of Construction: 1855
Prewar: two stories tall and built of brick. Elaborate examples of the Gothic Revival.
General Wartime: The Baptist Church housed a hospital for the wounded of at least one Union regiment during the 1862 battle, the…

This building is now used as a law office. It was built just before the Civil War broke out (around 1857). It is located on Princess Anne Street near the intersection of Hanover Street, next to the United Methodist Church.

From Dr. John Hennessy's…

This manor was built by John L. Marye in 1824 and added onto in 1836.

General Wartime Significance: "Brompton was a prominent landmark on the Confederate front line during the December 1862 and May 1863 Battles of Fredericksburg. In May 1864, the…

"The Masonic Lodge at Fredericksburg is one of the most historic lodges and one of the oldest in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Although its building has only been around since 1816, its members have existed as a standing organization officially since…

On Princess Anne and George Streets, this church was built in 1833.

"The church decided to acquire new land and build a larger house of worship that would be better suited to its size. Land at the corner of Princess Anne St. and George St. was…

Located on Washington Avenue.

"Built by George Washington's sister, Betty Washington Lewis and her husband Fielding Lewis, this beautiful, Georgian-style mansion reflects the pre-Revolutionary War wealth and status of the Fredericksburg merchant.…

This house is located on Sunken Road in the section run by the National Park Service. It was constructed by 1861 and perhaps occupied by John Innis, Ellen Innis, John's Wife; and possibly one other individual.

General Wartime Significance: "It was…

Located on Federal Hill (Caroline and William Streets) and constructed in 1814. The Wallace Family lived in the upper stories and operated the store below.

General Wartime: "The damage inflicted upon the Wallace House and Store in December 1862…

St. George's was built in 1849 and located on Princess Anne Street.

"This Episcopal House of worship was two stories tall, build of brick, and contained Fredericksburg's town clock in its steeple. A cemetery adjoined the church to the north. St.…